Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.
Patriot Knowledge Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

large blade vs small

3 posters

Go down

large blade vs small  Empty large blade vs small

Post  Highlander20068 Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 am

I know we have all seen the Rambo movies with the 10" blades and huge serrations, I love the knives I have them myself but in reality do we need a large knife like this for survival in the wilderness or for self protection, if you look at most out door knives they are simple 3-4" blade usually has a good point for skewing and a good edge for cutting, mostly the same with a good self defense knife that is very versatile and compact that it can be concealed, I believe Hollywood has skewed the reality of what a good defense/survival knife is, what do you think?

Highlander20068

Back to top Go down

large blade vs small  Empty Re: large blade vs small

Post  RhythmKing Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 am

I have various knives for different tasks. For instance, I have 2 knives I take when deer hunting. One, is a medium sized Buck skinner that has a gut hook I really like. It has Kraton rubber handles that are almost slip proof. I use that knife for opening up the deer. the gut hook does a nice job of that and the single slice keeps a lot of hair outside and out of the meat or intestine cavity. I also use that knife for carving around the anus. After that, I use a knife with a blade that's less than 2 inches long to field dress the carcass. I like a short blade, especially when doing in close work, like reaching into the neck to cut the throat and pull it out. I'm less likely to inadvertently cut my hands or worse with a shorter blade. When I'm out in the woods, I like to keep from injuring myself. I've gotten pumped up after taking down a nice buck, and it's easy to slip in that condition. Also, a shorter blade is easier to touch up and keep razor sharp. A dull knife is dangerous.
That said, I have a bunch of knives that would work just fine in any survival situation. Whether bugging out or in a camp. I've also taken long bayonets and cut them down into useable camp knives. Funny thing is, I also keep a machete and cane knife in my trunk. Both are sufficient for defensive and practical use. A good hatchet is also worth having on hand. I also believe in having as much hand powered tools as one can find. Two man saws are an excellent prep. Don't forget the sharpening and repair kits for them. These are the things that many folks ignore, and they are still cheap to pick up. They make your life off the grid far easier when it all goes south.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  ParamilUSMC Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 am

I have two ESEE knives to fill all of the needs I have for a knife in the woods. By far the smaller ESEE 4 gets more use then the ESEE 6. Basically because when it comes to anything intricate or has to do with food the smaller one always gets used. When it comes to shelter building or trap setting the 6 always gets used, but that situation comes along much more seldom than stuffing my face.
ParamilUSMC
ParamilUSMC
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum