Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.
Patriot Knowledge Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helle Viking

2 posters

Go down

Helle Viking Empty Helle Viking

Post  Paleolithic Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm

At first I did not like this knife but only because it is "different." It's a scandi grind knife based off of a viking knife in a museum except this is slightly longer. Most scandi grinds are at about the same angle and thickness. This knife, the angle of the grind is very steep and the spine is rather thick. For the most part, there is nothing really wrong with that but it's almost like they reinvented the wheel, it works just fine but I had to get used to it again. I can pick up all my other scandis and they handle just about the same, but this one, because of the steep angle and thickness of the blade, it would bite really hard and would almost push itself out of the wood I was carving. This was the only "learning curve" I had with it and it only took a little while of use to get used to it. What also bothers me, and is apparently an issue with other people's reviews, too, is that the grind is not even on both sides of the knife and borderlines a chisel grind. It hasn't caused a problem that I can tell, but it is strange to have an uneven grind and you have to sharpen it at different angles on each side of the blade (not a huge issue with scandi) but for a $100 knife, I'd expect a better quality control unless this is, itself, based on the historic account of the blade. I am not certain. Helle has a lifetime warranty on their knives, so I may see if they would replace it.

The sheath is decent though I wish it took in more of the handle though it fits tightly. A lot of the traditional scandi sheaths take in a lot more of the handle so that they do not bounce and fall out. I understand this is based on a historical design, so I can't complain too much.

Overall, I enjoy the knife and it feels good in my hands. The shape and size of the handle is quite comfortable.

Knife Length: 8 1/2 inches (217 mm)
Blade Length: 4 3/8 inches (110 mm)
Blade Thickness: Slightly over 1/8 inches, exactly (4 mm)
Blade Width: 7/8 inch (22 mm)
Blade Material: Laminated carbon steel
Blade Hardness: HRC 58-59 on the Rockwell Scale
Type of Tang: Rattail tang
Blade Grind: Scandinavian/single bevel

Helle Viking Helleviking

Helle Viking Helleviking2
Paleolithic
Paleolithic
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Back to top Go down

Helle Viking Empty Re: Helle Viking

Post  RhythmKing Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a Helle Fjellkniven No.4 and it's like a piece of artwork. Razor sharp, the heft and balance is exceptional. A real beauty. The blade is high carbon steel sandwiched between 2 layers of stainless. My wife gave it to me as a birthday present a few years ago.

Last edited by RhythmKing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I had the name of the knife wrong.)

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum