Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Patriot Knowledge Online
Thank you for logging into Patriot Knowledge Online (PKO).

Home of the Citizen Soldier.
Patriot Knowledge Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building the AR carbine.

4 posters

Go down

Building the AR carbine. Empty Building the AR carbine.

Post  Doc_Shane Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:58 am

Before recent events took place building was one of the things we did to get the exact rifle we wanted, now it seems it may be a cost driven necessity.

Some things to remember- receivers are pretty much all the same these days coming from a few select forges.

So once you decide on the rollmark of your preferred maker, then let's start selecting components-

LPK- I personally love the parts put out by Palmetto State and Bravo Company, they are beyond spec and finished impeccably.

Grips- this is where personal preference comes into play- this is your interface with the rifle, choose this part wisely.
Ergo, BCM, Magpul and several others make top line grips.

Stocks- the receiver extension (buffer tube) needs to be mil-spec dimensions.
There are just so many options out there that it is again user preference these days.

Upper receiver- M4 feed ramps are nice but not 100% necessary, however if you have a ramped upper you have to use a ramped barrel.

Bolt carrier group- use the highest quality BCG you can get, I like LMT, PSA, and BCM parts.

Barrel- I like FN Herstal barrels period.

Rail or not to rail- depends on what you intend to do with the carbine, if it is a night vision zombie slayer then you need a rail, if it is a truck gun/KISS rifle then no.
Doc_Shane
Doc_Shane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building the AR carbine. Empty Re: Building the AR carbine.

Post  Paladin Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, building is the way to go. You'll save big money doing it yourself and you can hand-pick your components. Generally speaking, correctly assembled this will result in a weapon superior to "mil-spec". I've rebuilt thousands of M16 series weapons and many ARs. It really is not a very complicated process. Providing you have the correct tools and even just a slight mechanical inclination, complete assembly from nothing but a pile of parts only takes an hour or so. Plus, if you know how to build your own, you know how to repair your own!
Paladin
Paladin
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew jackson Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Be it takes hours to build an AR! It requires a 6 pack and a working party of boots to police call the room when you constantly lose those damn pins that like to fly across the room when your trying to install them!

Also, I would like to add spikes to this list. Spikes has their enhanced lpk and it is just sick. I honesty have to say I truly feel my spikes build is a better weapon than my Lmt rifles. Nowadays I have decided I will only buy from bravo company and spikes. I don't think LMT makes the cut anymore. Then again I am pretty much done buying ar weapons. I want to get a few lever guns to appease my inner cowboy, a few tacticool guns like the ps90 and then start with NFA weapons. I really want an original browning 1919a4. That to me is the sexiest crew served weapon ever.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Any ideas who has the parts these days? I've seen that PSA has uppers, but what about lower receivers that aren't 300 bucks and bolt carrier groups? I have a Bushmaster carbine, but would like to build something better. Heck, I've got almost 100 30 round mags, so I should really have another rifle.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew jackson Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Finding anything right now is going to be difficult. Try Daniel Defense. You might be able to get a whole rifle. There was an article around New Years saying they expected this and cranked up production so they had plent of stuff. No idea how true that is today though.

andrew jackson

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm looking at PSA, but I'll definitely check out Daniel Defense. I guess I'll just have to keep searching. I know it's a bad time to start. Maybe my best bet would be to find a decent receiver and wait to get the rest until things calm down a bit.
Thanks.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah, definitely get yourself a receiver. Even during the last '94 AWB you could buy "pre-ban" parts, but you had to have a receiver manufactured prior to Clinton signing the bill. So, get that receiver! You can piece it together as parts begin to get available. Unfortunately, it'll probably be months before all of the parts buying madness is over...
Paladin
Paladin
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Back to top Go down

Post  RhythmKing Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm

The cheapest I've seen stripped lowers was at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] They have their brand, which are made by Aero Precision for around 250 bucks. I've never heard of Aero Precision, but they claim to be manufactured to mil-spec. Anybody here know about them? I'll probably bite the bullet and order one over the next few days, just to have something to build on if the ban goes through. I kicked myself years back because I didn't get things when I could've afforded them. I remember going to a gun show and seeing the same G3 mags I'd seen in Shotgun News for 8 bucks selling for 60. I know I've got plenty of preps, but I just would like to build a first rate AR when I get the chance and prices come down a bit for parts.

RhythmKing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum